Saturday, September 4, 2010

Howto Export Emails from Thunderbird into html files, print all these files into readable text in a single file

Hi,
Thought I'd share this with everyone. I wanted to filter my emails from a particular sender, export it and put it together in a text file for reading chronologically.
Here's what I had:
  • Ubuntu Lucid (10.4) as OS
  • Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.2 as email client
  • w3m as a text-only browser
    ImportExportTools as a Thunderbird add-on

The first part was fairly simple, just filter based on sender. In the search results, select all and click on Tools-ImportExportTools-Export All Messages In Folder - HTML Format

Select the target folder (I created a new one called EmailArchive). Once the activity is completed, you get a folder full of exported html files with names that have the date and subject as filename (you can customize this in preferences too).

Now I created a small shell script to achieve the next (but most difficult) part (for me). The script has the following lines: -

#!/bin/bash
FNAME=Mail_Transactions.txt
for i in *.html
do
echo "Start of Mail ---" $i >> $FNAME
echo "------" >> $FNAME
w3m -dump "$i" >> $FNAME
echo "End of Mail ------" >> $FNAME
echo "------" >> $FNAME
done


When you run this script (in a terminal , cd to the directory that contains the html files), it will create a file called Mail_Transactions.txt that will contain the output of all the mails separated by the two blocks "Start of Mail" and "End of Mail".


Hope this helps!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi. I really enjoyed my brief visit on your site and I’ll be sure to be back for more.
Can you please consider placing my website on your link list?

Please email me back.

Thanks!
Kevin
kevincollins1011 gmail.com